Thursday, February 2, 2012

God cares for us!

Today God taught me an important lesson through a little, ordinary sparrow. I was sitting on my bed, working on which classes I will be teaching for PAFCOE (and other things) and feeling very overwhelmed with all there was to do and so little time to do it. 
 
As I sat there, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that a sparrow had flitted by and landed on the ledge just outside my open window. But I was busy and didn't pay much attention to the little bird. He just stayed there and didn't fly away, though I'm sure he could see me. The thought popped into my head that God was trying to encourage me through him, but I didn't think much of it and went on with my work. 

When I moved a bit, the sparrow flitted away and I forgot about him. But in a few minutes, he was back and sat in the same spot as before. Before he had been quiet and just sat there, but this time he started singing! He opened his little mouth and just sang and sang to his heart's content. He was truly praising the Maker who had given him life!

Of course, it was just a sparrow’s song and not particularly that melodious, but he sat there for a long time (probably only 3 minutes), just singing. As I watched him pouring out his heart in song, I was touched with such a simple, little thing. A Bible verse came to my mind which says, "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."

If God loves and cares for such a small sparrow, He cares about each of us and our problems so much more! God knew I needed that little encouragement and I thanked Him for caring so much for me! I know He will help each of us with whatever life should bring us! 

I pray God will help each of us to do our part in bringing sunshine and cheer to the lives of those around us! :)

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.